Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Airport Fiasco!

Shyla's adopted---but she sure didn't leave without a "big finale":

Man, what a trip! Shyla and I got to the airport an hour ahead of time, as told by AA. We had to go to the ticket counter to purchase a ticket and check in. The place was packed, probably 200 people trying to get out of town (note to self - don't fly a dog on Friday on AA). We got in line...after about 20 minutes, it's our turn - I give the itinerary to the guy (who was REALLY cranky) - he was the only AA ticket agent on duty. So..he yells to all the other customers "You will all have to go the the self service kiosk - this lady and her dog are going to take me 20 minutes, at least!" I am trying to disappear into the floor at this point. THEN, he proceeds to check in about 5 people in another line. I assumed that someone in the back was working on my stuff. Finally, at 11:38, I say - "is she going to make her 12:15 flight - are they almost through checking us in?" He screams - "There's no way she's going to make that flight - we'll have to send her on a later flight!" At which point, I scream "OH NO, WE'RE NOT!!! - THIS IS A LIVE ANIMAL, NOT A PIECE OF BAGGAGE!!" And promptly burst into tears. More wishing for the floor to open up and swallow me. 200 pairs of eyes are staring at "this LADY and her DOG". With not a little hostility for holding things up. The guy tells me that I did not have his paperwork filled out for him (the Air Waybill) - and I said "like I have those at my HOUSE, you a-hole!" "Why didn't you tell me her flight was at 12:15?!?!" "I GAVE you her itinerary and TOLD you her flight number, you idiot!" and so on and so forth...you get the picture. At this point, the TSA lady was patting me on the back, saying "You'll see her when you get there, she'll be alright" and I'm wailing "No, I'm never going to see her again!!!" OH. MY. GOD! So...I tried to call Lisa for some moral support and to see what she thought - Lisa, it's a good thing you didn't answer - you'd have thought it was a crazy lady on the line. The guy finally found a flight schedule I could live with. Meanwhile, Shyla is perfectly content, looking around for birds and whatnot. Several people took turns holding her leash while I kept running outside to feed the parking meter (15 min limit). I'm ranting and raving all the while...."Delta has a cargo dropoff area for animals - this is ridiculous...they filled the waybill out for me...and THEY have a box of KLEENEX at the desk!!!" My shirt is all snotty by now...Shyla is still looking for birds, 200 pairs of eyes are still glowering at me, and my head is going to explode. We finally get ticketed, get everything taped to the top of her crate, and go to the TSA inspection station. Where they promptly UNtape the sack of stuff on top of the crate, rifle through everything, take her bed apart, squeek her toys, inspect her all over, and FINALLY she is almost on her way. The a-hole ticket counter guy and I hug each other, he's crying, too by now...he's says over and over again "I'm so sorry, please stop crying, you're breaking my heart, I'm so sorry - they need to get us more help up here..sniff sniff". And away he goes with precious Shyla - she never looked back. I finally stopped crying by the time I sat down to write this. GEE, AINT FOSTERING FUN?!?!?!? Who's my next dog? AAARRRGGGHHH.....
Elizabeth

No comments: